Open Studio SessionsMaking art is one way that everyone can connect socially with others and feel more empowered
Sharing creative experiences with others can have a significant positive impact on your overall health and well-being and it can also help you live a vibrant and creative life!
Our Open Studio Sessions are a welcoming, inclusive place to create art. You don’t need to be an artist to join. Everyone is welcome! The sessions are a place where people can gather, chat, experiment with new art materials and leave feeling encouraged. Our aim is to provide a space where people can connect socially, foster personal growth, and improve health-related concerns. Weekly themes and guidance will be provided.
What are Open Studio Sessions like?
In our Open Studio Sessions, you can choose from our arts and crafts materials in the studio (watercolours, pastels, acrylic painting, beading, and much more). This allows you to try new things and see what you like. Art demonstrations on specific techniques or materials, such as air drying clay, plaster of Paris, speedball printing, and scratchboard etching will be held during the first hour of class for those who want to participate.
Our Open Studio Sessions are open to people of all ages, abilities, and diagnoses. We encourage the culture of inclusion and sharing of knowledge between people from all different backgrounds. We acknowledge that everyone is wonderfully unique, and we believe we can all benefit from sharing experiences together. A creative or artistic space offers a more neutral and less intimidating setting, allowing for a more open environment for people of all backgrounds to be together. Making art is one way that everyone can connect socially with others and feel more empowered.
Open Studio Sessions COVID-Style
Our in-person art programs have been put on hold since late March due to the COVID-19 outbreak. During the prolonged shut-down, we have offered weekly creative challenges on our social media pages and have added to our line of jewelry, cards, and artwork to raise money for our Step Forward Program, which helps subsidize our services for clients in need of financial assistance.
We understand that being isolated at home and separated from your loved-ones has been hard and can a huge impact on our mental health. We are happy to say that we are ready to open our doors again but with new COVID-19 safety precautions.
Our in-person offerings include:
- Customized one-on-one individual, or pairs art making sessions (see here for more information on individual or pairs art making sessions).
- Open Studio Sessions COVID-style (At this time, we will not be offering free reign around the art studio and will be focused on one weekly art activity per class). Please check out our weekly schedule for what is happening in the art studio!
- Classes are held according to the schedule below and are subject to change as needed.
What You Need To Know About Precautions in the Art Studio During COVID-19
We are committed to protecting our clients in-person art making sessions by:
- Having all participants wear a mask and practice social distancing of 2 meters in class and being seated at their own six-foot table.
- Using easy to clean/sanitize, one-time use materials, or instructor-only distributed materials. Materials that cannot be sanitized will be stored for 7 days before they are used again.
- Regularly sanitizing high touch areas, surfaces and art tools before and after each art session.
- Reducing our open studio sessions capacity from 8-10 down to 3 people max as well as 1 instructor.
- Reducing our open studio sessions length from 3 hours to 2 hour sessions to reduce exposure, and provide adequate time to sanitize, set up and clean up, and sanitize everything again after use.
For participants using any of our in-person therapeutic art classes will be asked to:
- Answer COVID-19 screening questions upon registration.
- Wash their hands upon entering the art studio.
- Wear a face mask and/or face shield at all times (if you’ve come without, we can provide you with one) and gloves when directed.
- Keep personal belongings under your seat.
- Refrain from eating and drinking in class (water bottles accepted).
- Remain at your designated art table (bathroom breaks or hand-washing one at a time is ok!)
- Only use art materials at your station or that are distributed by the instructor.
- Bring your own smock.
Thank you for reading through these new policies and procedures and respecting them when you visit our studio. We are making our best effort to keep everyone safe and healthy and keep our art studio open through COVID-19.
Please note, Open Studio Sessions are finished for the summer, and we will resume in September
- Mondays from 6:30pm-8:30pm (please register by 12:00pm)
- Wednesdays from 10:30am-12:30pm (please register by 4:00pm on Tuesday)
Registration: Pre-registration for all open studio sessions is required. Please call 604-283-7827 ext. 0 to register. We require a credit card on file in order to register for your session.
Cancellation Policy: If you cannot make it to a session you are registered for, the same deadlines for registration apply to cancellation. Cancellations after 12pm on Mondays and 4pm on Tuesdays will not be eligible for a refund. COVID-19 Exception: If you have any symptoms of an illness, please contact us with as much notice as possible and we will refund your purchase. We are operating on good faith during this time to keep everyone safe and healthy. In order to receive a refund, you must let us know of your symptoms by 3pm on Monday or 9am on Wednesday – you must contact Meg directly at (604) 283-7827 ext 703 and leave a voicemail if she is unable to answer her phone at the time. Thank you!
- $40 per person
All prices include applicable taxes.
Please note: Open Studio Sessions are not a drop-in format and pre-registration is required. If we do not have the requisite numbers registered to run the session, the session will be cancelled without notice.
Open Studio Sessions are closed for the summer, please join us again in September!
TAKE THE FIRST STEP. CONTACT US TODAY
We will get back to you as soon as we can.