Open Studio SessionsMaking art is one way that everyone can connect socially with others and feel more empowered
Sharing creative experiences with others can have a significant positive impact on your overall health and well-being and it can also help you live a vibrant and creative life!
Our Open Studio Sessions are a welcoming, inclusive place to create art. You don’t need to be an artist to join. Everyone is welcome! The sessions are a place where people can gather, chat, experiment with new art materials and leave feeling encouraged. Our aim is to provide a space where people can connect socially, foster personal growth, and improve health-related concerns. Weekly themes and guidance will be provided.
What are Open Studio Sessions like?
In our Open Studio Sessions, you can choose from our arts and crafts materials in the studio (watercolours, pastels, acrylic painting, beading, and much more). This allows you to try new things and see what you like. Art demonstrations on specific techniques or materials, such as air drying clay, plaster of Paris, speedball printing, and scratchboard etching will be held during the first hour of class for those who want to participate.
Our Open Studio Sessions are open to people of all ages, abilities, and diagnoses. We encourage the culture of inclusion and sharing of knowledge between people from all different backgrounds. We acknowledge that everyone is wonderfully unique, and we believe we can all benefit from sharing experiences together. A creative or artistic space offers a more neutral and less intimidating setting, allowing for a more open environment for people of all backgrounds to be together. Making art is one way that everyone can connect socially with others and feel more empowered.
Open Studio Sessions COVID-Style
Our in-person art programs have been put on hold since late March due to the COVID-19 outbreak. During the prolonged shut-down, we have offered weekly creative challenges on our social media pages and have added to our line of jewelry, cards, and artwork to raise money for our Step Forward Program, which helps subsidize our services for clients in need of financial assistance.
We understand that being isolated at home and separated from your loved-ones has been hard and can a huge impact on our mental health. We are happy to say that we are ready to open our doors again but with new COVID-19 safety precautions.
Our in-person offerings include:
- Customized one-on-one individual, or pairs art making sessions (see here for more information on individual or pairs art making sessions).
- Open Studio Sessions COVID-style (At this time, we will not be offering free reign around the art studio and will be focused on one weekly art activity per class). Please check out our weekly schedule for what is happening in the art studio!
- Classes are held according to the schedule below and are subject to change as needed.
What You Need To Know About Precautions in the Art Studio During COVID-19
We are committed to protecting our clients in-person art making sessions by:
- Having all participants wear a mask and practice social distancing of 2 meters in class and being seated at their own six-foot table.
- Using easy to clean/sanitize, one-time use materials, or instructor-only distributed materials. Materials that cannot be sanitized will be stored for 7 days before they are used again.
- Regularly sanitizing high touch areas, surfaces and art tools before and after each art session.
- Reducing our open studio sessions capacity from 8-10 down to 3 people max as well as 1 instructor.
- Reducing our open studio sessions length from 3 hours to 2 hour sessions to reduce exposure, and provide adequate time to sanitize, set up and clean up, and sanitize everything again after use.
For participants using any of our in-person therapeutic art classes will be asked to:
- Answer COVID-19 screening questions upon registration.
- Wash their hands upon entering the art studio.
- Wear a face mask and/or face shield at all times (if you’ve come without, we can provide you with one) and gloves when directed.
- Keep personal belongings under your seat.
- Refrain from eating and drinking in class (water bottles accepted).
- Remain at your designated art table (bathroom breaks or hand-washing one at a time is ok!)
- Only use art materials at your station or that are distributed by the instructor.
- Bring your own smock.
Thank you for reading through these new policies and procedures and respecting them when you visit our studio. We are making our best effort to keep everyone safe and healthy and keep our art studio open through COVID-19.
- Mondays from 6:30pm-8:30pm (please register by 12:00pm)
- Wednesdays from 10:30am-12:30pm (please register by 4:00pm on Tuesday)
Registration: Pre-registration for all open studio sessions is required. Please call 604-283-7827 ext. 0 to register. We require a credit card on file in order to register for your session.
Cancellation Policy: If you cannot make it to a session you are registered for, the same deadlines for registration apply to cancellation. Cancellations after 12pm on Mondays and 4pm on Tuesdays will not be eligible for a refund. COVID-19 Exception: If you have any symptoms of an illness, please contact us with as much notice as possible and we will refund your purchase. We are operating on good faith during this time to keep everyone safe and healthy. In order to receive a refund, you must let us know of your symptoms by 3pm on Monday or 9am on Wednesday – you must contact Meg directly at (604) 283-7827 ext 703 and leave a voicemail if she is unable to answer her phone at the time. Thank you!
- $30 per adult
- $15 per child (12 and under). Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Parents of children 10 and over wishing to leave them on their own must sign a waiver form.
- $75 per family (up to 3 members). During COVID we are only able to accommodate up to 3 participants total.
- $15 for those on Income Assistance or Persons with Disability Benefits
- 10% discount for seniors
- Support attendants or professionals accompanying clients can attend free of charge
All prices include applicable taxes.
Please note: Open Studio Sessions are not a drop-in format and pre-registration is required. If we do not have the requisite numbers registered to run the session, the session will be cancelled without notice.
|January 11 & 13, 2021||Gratitude Journals||We have all been through a challenging year. Start the year off on a positive note and decorate your own gratitude journal. You will be given several reflective writing prompts to guide you as you journal in class and at home.|
|January 18, 2021||Mindfulness-Based Art Activities: Mandalas||Learn how to design different kinds of mandalas using rulers, shapes, patterns, ink and paper.|
|January 20, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed today. Join us next time!|
|January 25 & 27, 2021||India Ink, Alcohol Ink, and Multimedia Art||Using India ink on photo paper, you will learn how to use alcohol to alter the texture of the India ink. Choose from a variety of paper cut outs to add to your art piece to create a stunning and bold painting.|
|February 1 & 3, 2021||Art From The Heart||Using felt, fabric, batting, and coloured string/embroidery thread, create small hand-held heart using a variety of stitching techniques. These beautiful hearts make a perfect gift for family and friends, or to those struggling at this time. Make someone else’s day, give it to someone you don’t even know!|
|February 8, 2021||Scratchboard||This black and white drawing surface is a panel layered with a thin coating of white clay and India Ink. Learn about different techniques and tools and create your own detailed masterpiece!|
|February 10, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed today. Join us next time!|
|February 15 & 17, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed this week. Join us next time!|
|February 22 & 24, 2021||Random Object Painted Collage||Create a multimedium art piece using paint and stencils, and mount random objects such as pebbles, old paintbrushes, sticks, and metal charms to design a truly creative art piece.|
|March 1 & 3, 2021||I Am Canvas||We are all unique and wonderfully made. Come and explore what makes you, you! Paint and paste words, statements, and images that encourage you, describe who you are and what you want to be.|
|March 8 & 10, 2021||Watercolour Galaxy||Practice watercolour techniques to make a deep and dark galaxy sky, complete with stars and constellations. Use a variety of colours from deep blues, purples, pinks, and reds to create your unique piece.|
|March 15 & 17, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed for Spring Break. Join us next time!|
|March 22 & 24, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed for Spring Break. Join us next time!|
|March 29 & 31, 2021||Guided Imagery Poster||Need a place for your mind to rest? Using collage, we will select images, colours, and words that give you peace.|
|April 2021||CLOSED||The Studio is closed for the month of April to rest and recharge, and to keep everyone safe while COVID-19 numbers are higher. We look forward to re-opening in May!|
|May 3 & 5, 2021||All About Feathers||Learn how to draw feathers using tangle art and learn how to paint designs on real feathers with acrylic paint. This is all about texture, patterns, and designs! Mount your feathers on a board, use it as a bookmark, give it to a friend or save it for next session’s multimedia dream catcher piece.|
|May 10 & 12, 2021||Dreamcatcher Multimedia Piece Using Feathers||Learn how to make feathers using different types of paper. Create a dream catcher multimedia art piece using your pattered feathers and feathers from our previous session on feathers.|
|May 17 & 19, 2021||Wood Panel Collage||On small wooden panels, learn how to layer wooden pieces tinted with watercolours words and images to create a 2D art piece! Fun for all ages and abilities.|
|May 24, 2021||CLOSED||Studio is closed today. Join us next time!|
|May 26, 2021||Modern Pencil Crayon Drawing||Using techniques from artist Greta Laundy, you will learn how to compose, create, and layer colours using only pencil crayons and a ruler.|
|May 31 & June 2, 2021||Encouragement Cards||Create small cards inspiration using different types of calligraphy to write words and quotes on a variety of different paper and watercolours. Keep them at your work station or pass them to family and friends who need a pick-me-up.|
TAKE THE FIRST STEP. CONTACT US TODAY
We will get back to you as soon as we can.