Slow Cooker Minstrone Soup
- 6 cups (1500mL or 1.5L) no salt added chicken broth*
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes (796mL), no salt added
- 1 large can (540 mL) of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed**
- 1 large onion or 1 ½-2 smaller onions, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut in halves or thirds
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup cooked small spiral noodles (or other “shorter” noodles of your choice!)
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, celery and garlic in 2 teaspoons of canola oil over medium-high heat, until softened (about 4-5 minutes).
- Combine cooked onion mixture, broth, tomatoes, cannellini beans, carrots, green beans, zucchini, oregano, and thyme in a large slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- For the last 15 minutes of cooking, add spinach and already cooked noodles.
- Add salt and pepper to suit your taste buds and enjoy!
* You can make this recipe vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth
** You can substitute red kidney beans for the cannellini beans if you prefer